Working with the young Finnish film maker Rasmus Tikkanen, the Finn Class has released a cool video of the exciting medal race at the Open European Championships in Helsinki on July 14th. Watch the top ten battle for supremacy in a tight race just offshore from the Open European Helsinki 2011 venue at Hernesaari, just west of Helsinki city centre.
Ivan Kljakovic Gaspic (CRO 524) went into the medal race with a six point lead over second placed Giles Scott (GBR 41). The battle for the overall title was between these two. In the pre-start Scott forced Kljakovic Gaspic into starting at the unfavoured end and then stayed on the right to control his opponent and eventually take the lead and cross the finish with the vital two boats between them to win his first ever major international Finn title.
Third placed Andrew Mills (GBR 85) carried an 11 point lead into the medal race over fourth placed Thomas Le Breton (FRA 29). Only one of these two could win the bronze, the rest of the field were too far behind on points. Mills also attacked Le Breton in the pre-start, and even though he took a penalty, still managed to come out ahead to put a close cover on his opponent throughout the race to keep his hands on third place overall. This was Mills' first ever major championship podium place.
The other contestants in the medal race included Pieter Jan Postma (NED 842), double Olympic Laser medalist Vasilij Zbogar (SLO 573), third at the Europeans in 2010 Daniel Birgmark (SWE 11), 2004 Olympic Silver medalist and 2007 World Champion Rafael Trujillo (ESP 100), 2006 European champion and current World Champion Ed Wright (GBR 11), and Marin Misura (CRO 25). It was one of the toughest medal race line ups of the year.
Watch the thrilling race unfold and listen to what Scott, Mills and the GBR coach Matt Howard had to say.
Video length 5 minutes 23 seconds
Or embed it on your site with the following code:
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NZoVcKhl0aE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
LATEST NEWS & FEATURES
- Finn Masters looking forward to La Rochelle return
- Advertising feature: Race Area Analyzer
- Bid papers for 2015 Finn Gold Cup
- Andrew Mills snatches Hyeres victory
- Scott and Mills extend as fleet prepare for medal races
- Giles Scott strikes out on day four in Hyeres
- Postma prospers in breezy Hyeres
- Consistent Zbogar takes lead on day two in Hyeres
- Wins for Wright and Tweddell on tricky Hyeres opener
- Close win for Giles Scott in Palma
- Scott and Postma lead Finns into Palma medal races
- Giles Scott eases ahead in Palma
- Giles Scott heads Finn fleet at half way stage in Palma
- Wins for Lobert and Andrews on shifty day two in Palma
- Lobert leads Finns and after big day in Palma
- Season preview – the journey begins
- March 2013 issue of FINNFARE published
- Finn Class partners Dinghy Academy to train next Olympians
- Finn focus on Brazil - the road to Rio
- Open Russian Championship 2013