A small but talented fleet of 24 boats and 12 nations will race all week on the Lake for the Finn Junior World title currently held by Arkadiy Kistanov from Moscow. Many sailors can claim the title and the 11 races scheduled in the championship promise to be fiercely contested.
The European Junior Champion, Michal Jodlowski (POL) or vice Champion Dimitar Vangelov (BUL), Patrick Deutscher (CZE), Anders Pedersen (NOR) or Martin Robitaille (CAN) who have all sailed most of the international events this year will start as favourites.
Russia is once again coming with a large team with eight sailors. Among them defending champion Arkadyi Kistanov will be able to enjoy again his favoured lake conditions, similar to the ones from his home club in Moscow. Third at the Junior Europeans, Andrei Ianitckii will be another one to watch. Among the youngest in the Finn fleet the Kotlyarov brothers from St Petersburg (16 years old) have been improving since the last Silver Cup in Moscow and could create a surprise.
After two days of measurement, most sailors took part in the practice race this afternoon with a perfect breeze averaging 15 knots. The starting line was crowded and most over when the gun set them free on the course! Viaceslav Sivenkov (RUS) was first around followed by Anders Pedersen (NOR) and Cem Gozen (TUR).
Brigitte Viaud, President of the host club, the Cercle de Voile de Bordeaux, declared the championship open during the opening ceremony and defending champion, Arkadyi Kistanov, presented the Silver Cup to the Club.
Racing is scheduled from Sunday 1st to Friday 6th of July with a total of 11 races.
Follow the regatta reports, photos and videos on the Finn class Facebook and Youtube:
Event website (results):
For more information, please contact, Corinne Mckenzie:
LATEST NEWS & FEATURES
- Four winners but Budzien takes narrow lead
- Image Gallery - Finn World Masters - with Go Pro
- Perfect score for Lidecis and Budzien after first races in La Rochelle
- Record Finn World Masters opened amid inclement weather
- Finn Masters looking forward to La Rochelle return
- Advertising feature: Race Area Analyzer
- Bid papers for 2015 Finn Gold Cup
- Andrew Mills snatches Hyeres victory
- Scott and Mills extend as fleet prepare for medal races
- Giles Scott strikes out on day four in Hyeres
- Postma prospers in breezy Hyeres
- Consistent Zbogar takes lead on day two in Hyeres
- Wins for Wright and Tweddell on tricky Hyeres opener
- Close win for Giles Scott in Palma
- Scott and Postma lead Finns into Palma medal races
- Giles Scott eases ahead in Palma
- Giles Scott heads Finn fleet at half way stage in Palma
- Wins for Lobert and Andrews on shifty day two in Palma
- Lobert leads Finns and after big day in Palma
- Season preview – the journey begins