Charles Currey was one of the original group of UK Finn sailors, being one of 18 UK sailors that qualified for the Olympic trials, Charles went on to win and represent the UK at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics.
Charles Currey 1916 - 2010 In Memorium Charles Currey was one of the original group of UK Finn sailors, being one of 18 UK sailors that qualified for the Olympic trials, Charles went on to win and represent the UK at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics. Charles managed to secure silver and shared the podium with Paul Elvstrom and Rickard Sarby.
He was the MD of Fairey Marine Company in Hamble that pioneered hot moulded construction of various racing dinghies, he was an accomplished dinghy builder and designer for the National 14, 505 and the Dutchman, the company also turned out a few Finn hulls. The fairing of the Finn drawings sent over by his friend Rickard Sarby are still the datum for the class and Lamboley used these as the datum. Charles Currey's Tormentor K3 boat was instrumental in the design of the Finn today.
In the early 1960s the rules for the class were in disarray and Charles worked with Richard Creagh-Osbourne and others on re-writing the rules, his particular involvement was getting the lines defined to a much higher degree of accuracy which he completed around 1964. Charles and his son Gordon were measurers in the UK up to the present, Gordon continuing the tradition.
Funeral service - Warblington Church, Emsworth. 14.00hrs Monday 24th May. Donations to the Hayling rescue organisation.
IFA sends its condolences to all Charles' family.
LATEST NEWS & FEATURES
- Kiwis rule and then Maier takes fifth Finn World Masters
- No racing on penultimate Finn Masters day
- Maier makes most of moving day at Finn Masters
- Four winners but Budzien takes narrow lead
- Image Gallery - Finn World Masters - with Go Pro
- Perfect score for Lidecis and Budzien after first races in La Rochelle
- Record Finn World Masters opened amid inclement weather
- Finn Masters looking forward to La Rochelle return
- Advertising feature: Race Area Analyzer
- Bid papers for 2015 Finn Gold Cup
- Andrew Mills snatches Hyeres victory
- Scott and Mills extend as fleet prepare for medal races
- Giles Scott strikes out on day four in Hyeres
- Postma prospers in breezy Hyeres
- Consistent Zbogar takes lead on day two in Hyeres
- Wins for Wright and Tweddell on tricky Hyeres opener
- Close win for Giles Scott in Palma
- Scott and Postma lead Finns into Palma medal races
- Giles Scott eases ahead in Palma
- Giles Scott heads Finn fleet at half way stage in Palma